Based in New York, New York
16 August, 2013
StarLicker is a competitive 1v1 strategy game about defending your home in a war of attrition, fought in a magical future by space-faring bunnies. Each match pits you against a rival planet, where you must destroy all 3 of their cities to win. You and your opponent take turns spending energy on units that you use to design and shape your own bullet patterns. Energy is gained on defense, when you absorb incoming bullets using the StarLicker ship to foil your opponent’s attacks. StarLicker is built for fans of multiplayer strategy or shoot ‘em up games who are looking for more depth than your average iOS game.
In early 2012, game designer Hayden Cacace, having grown tired of the formulaic, unimaginative AAA game world, and feeling underwhelmed with the offerings in the land of casual gaming, became obsessed with professional level StarCraft II and competitive gaming (“eSports”). He found that watching and listening to top level players provided more casual, entry-level access to a gaming experience that would otherwise consume a lot more time than he had. He saw this as a new trend in gaming culture, and it became the primary inspiration for an experimental strategy game. Fueled by a conviction that gamers like himself craved more casually playable, yet high skill-ceiling competitive games, he set out to create StarLicker. Hayden assembled a small team of talented friends and gamers to develop the game, which features a 2-player asynchronous online mode, designed to deliver the gaming satisfaction and competition of “eSports”, but on a casual player’s schedule. The game was originally released as an “open beta”, and the team continued to support the game with new content and balance patches until March 2014, when they decided to move on to a new game instead.
- A unique blend of intense action and contemplative strategy
- Asynchronous online multiplayer and matchmaking
- Pass ‘n’ Play with a friend on a shared device
- Dozens of Special Powers to unlock to customize your tactics
- Game Center enabled to sync across all your devices
- Pixel art graphics inspired by the 16-bit generation
- Original synthpop soundtrack composed by Kurt Feldman of Ice Choir and The Depreciation Guild
StarLicker Show Episode 3 YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Digital Showcase, Boston Festival of Indie Games 2013" Boston FIG, 2013
- "It’s like a real-time strategy game had sex with a bullet-hell shooter and had a baby."
- Mike Fahey, Kotaku
- "It’s fun! And so adorable it makes me want to punch things."
- Matt Albrecht, Indie Statik
- "The tracks are mind numbingly catchy and go hand in hand with the visual style. Close your eyes and you’ll swear you’re in the early 90’s. … A good reason to finally retire Candy Crush and pick up a new addiction."
- Eddie Vargas, Str n Gaming
- "StarLicker is super imaginative in taking two concepts of games and twisting it to make a superbly well-done iOS game that creates its own niche."
- Jennifer “Narz” Vargas, GGVogue
Available from kurtfeldman.bandcamp.com.
A short video series where designer Hayden and artist Will discuss the strategy and design of the game is available at youtube.com.
Heartonomy is an independent game company based in New York City, founded by game designer Hayden Cacace and developer Rudd Zwolinski.
More information on Heartonomy, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Game Design, Programming, Project Lead
Programming, Online Systems, UX Design
Art Direction, Animation, Character Design
Sound Design, Music, Sound Effects